Job Vacancy: Audio-Visual Engineer
Company: Blaydon Communications Limited
Blaydon Communications is looking to employ an Audio-Visual Engineer to join their team in the North East. Our core business is commercial audio systems and voice alarm, but we also offer solutions in video, induction loop, conference, and intercom with a small amount of CCTV and access control.
Our business covers a wide variety of sectors, including commercial, industrial, leisure, heritage, houses of worship, education, local authority, and transport to name but a few.
The role will be varied and interesting and while experience is preferred, applicants from other similar backgrounds, such as electrical, security, or fire industries will be considered. A willing-to-learn attitude and hard-working ethic is essential, as the successful applicant will need to fit in quickly with our existing workforce.
Due to the expected future route that all AV equipment is taking, the role will include an element of networking, so the candidate would ideally have a good understanding of the basic fundamentals of IP networks.
We offer a full service from system design, through to installation and commissioning, which is backed up with an after sales service that includes proactive and reactive maintenance, along with ad hoc reactive service and support calls.
Generally, our projects are based in Northern England and the Borders, but we have taken on projects nationwide in the past. Due to this, there may be a requirement for occasional working away from home with overnight stays.
To fulfil the needs of the Company, the successful candidate will need to be able to work as part of team and offer constructive input into the role. There will be an element of solo working and project management too, so self-motivation is important.
As a full member of our team, we expect the highest quality of work to be backed up with protecting the company image and enforcing our brand to our client base. As part of this role, you will be required to be our front line representative and responsible for the handing over of completed projects to clients. This will include some basic training to clients, so a polite and professional demeanour is a must. From an internal aspect, there will be a requirement to effectively communicate the current status of projects and service calls to the rest of the team, and ensure that projects are planned in advance and all equipment is in stock and available for the project. For reactive service calls, we expect vehicles to be suitably stocked with appropriate hardware to fulfil general servicing needs.
Skills & Experience:
The ideal candidate would have at least 2 years’ experience in this type of work, with a history of abilities to include skills from first fix to final handover.
General skill requirements would include:
- Setting up of sound systems for speech reinforcement, music, and voice alarm.
- Maintenance experience for voice alarm and general AV systems.
- Setting up of video systems including projectors and large format displays.
- Setting up of IP networks for AV purposes.
- General installation skills for cable and hardware installations.
- Workshop and field service skills such as termination and soldering.
- Understanding of industry terminology for AV systems.
- Termination methods and wiring standards for audio, visual, and network systems.
- Knowledge of different computer platforms and software packages for AV and Conferencing
(Windows / Mac / macOS / iOS / Teams / Zoom etc.)
- Able to read technical drawings and create drawings for clients.
- ISCVE membership an advantage
Due to the nature of the role, a full UK driving licence is essential.
Licences for powered access and scaffold is preferred, however training can be arranged to cover this. Needless to say, the successful candidate should be comfortable at working at height.
The salary will be dependant on experience. The following benefits will be included for the successful candidate:
- Full time position available after successful probation
- Company pension will be offered later in employment
- Company van will be provided, with personal use as an option
- Mobile phone will be provided for company use
- Overtime payable for extra hours worked
- Health and Safety Training
- Personal Development Training
- 20 Days Holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Normal working pattern of weekdays only
All applicants should send their CV to Paul Dougherty via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or by post to:
Mr Paul Dougherty
Blaydon Communications Limited
Tyne and Wear